Bonjour, food enthusiasts! Today, we embark on a culinary journey to create the epitome of French elegance – Classic Crêpes.Whether you're indulging in a sweet breakfast or a savory dinner, these crêpes are the perfect canvas for your culinary creativity. Let's dive into the recipe and add a touch of French finesse to your kitchen!These thin pancakes are a canvas for your culinary imagination. Bon appétit!
- 1 mixing bowl
- 1 whisk
- 1 crêpe pan or a medium non-stick pan or cast-iron frying pan
- 1 large spatula
- 3½ tbsp butter (50 g)
- 4 eggs
- 2 tbsp sugar (for sweet crêpes) or a pinch of salt (for savory crêpes)
- 2 cups milk or non-dairy milk (500 ml)
- 2 cups all purpose flour or gluten free flour (250 g)
- 1 tbsp rum *
- cooking spray
Prepare the Batter
- Melt the butter.
- In a mixing bowl, combine eggs, sugar and ¼ of milk. Whisk everything.Add the sifted flour little by little and finally add the remaining milk.
- When the batter is smooth, add the melted butter and the rum (or vanilla or lemon zest or orange blossom water).
- You can start the crêpes right away but it is better to let the batter rest for at least 30 minutes to allow the flour to fully absorb the liquid. You can also let it rest overnight in the fridge with a cover.
Cook the Crêpes
- Heat a non-stick skillet or crêpe pan over medium heat.
- Lightly grease the pan with butter or cooking spray.
- Pour a small amount of batter into the center of the pan, swirling it around to spread thinly.
Flip and Cook
- Cook the crêpe for about 1-2 minutes until the edges start to lift and the bottom is lightly golden
- Carefully flip the crêpe with the spatula and cook for an additional 30 seconds to 1 minute on the other side.
Repeat and Stack
- Repeat the process with the remaining batter, stacking the cooked crêpes on a plate.
Serve and Enjoy:
- Fill your crêpes with your favorite toppings, whether it's Nutella, fresh berries, ham and cheese, or a sprinkle of sugar and a squeeze of lemon.
*or some lemon zest or few drops of vanilla extract or 1 tsp of orange blossom water.