Made with just a handful of ingredients, including fragrant basil, pungent garlic, and creamy Parmesan cheese, this sauce packs a punch of flavor that brightens up any dish.Basil Pesto is incredibly versatile and can be used in a variety of ways:- Serve it tossed with freshly cooked pasta for a quick and satisfying meal, - spread it on sandwiches or wraps for a burst of flavor, - drizzle it over grilled vegetables or meats for a vibrant finishing touch. The possibilities are endless!Buon Appetito! 🇮🇹
- Food processor or blender
- Airtight container (for storage)
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
- 2 cloves garlic
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper ( to taste)
- In a food processor or blender, combine the basil leaves, garlic, and pine nuts. Pulse until finely chopped.
- Add the grated Parmesan cheese to the mixture and pulse again until combined.
- With the food processor or blender running, slowly drizzle in the olive oil until the mixture comes together into a smooth and creamy sauce.
- Season the pesto with salt and pepper to taste, adjusting the seasoning as needed.
- Transfer the Basil Pesto to an airtight container and store it in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- For a nut-free version, you can omit the pine nuts or substitute them with sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds.
- To prevent the basil from oxidizing and turning brown, cover the surface of the pesto with a thin layer of olive oil before sealing the container.
- Basil Pesto can be stored in the refrigerator for up to a week or frozen for longer-term storage. Divide it into small portions and freeze in ice cube trays for easy portioning.
- Customize the flavor of your Basil Pesto by adding a squeeze of lemon juice or a pinch of red pepper flakes for a hint of heat. Adjust the amount of garlic and Parmesan cheese to suit your taste preferences.